6th Grade Band Recruitment
Thank you for expressing interest in joining the New Prairie Bands family! The information below should help you and your family in the process of joining middle school band.
Upcoming Dates + Events
TBA -- Mr. Weinberg/NPHS Band students visit Olive 5th Gr. students
TBA -- Mr. Weinberg/NPHS Band students visit Rolling Prairie/Prairie View 5th Gr. students
TBA -- 5th graders visit NPMS to see 7th/8th Grade Combined Band performance!
TBA - 5 PM in NPMS LGI Room - 5th Grade Band Parent Meeting!
TBA, 4-7 PM School/Central Time @ NPMS -- Instrument Petting Zoo/6th Grade Band Registration Night!
Forms and Calendars
Frequently Asked Questions
What Instruments are used in 6th grade?
* = indicates limited number of students selected through audition only
My child does not know how to play an instrument. Can they still be in band?
- Yes! Students are not expected to have any musical background.
How much does it cost to be in band?
- Cost will vary by instrument. Instrument rental prices will be explained by Quinlan and Fabish during the Instrument Petting Zoos and Sign-Up Nights.
What other costs can we expect throughout the year?
- Students will be required to purchase their band book, proper accessories to maintain their instrument, and a polo shirt to be worn as their band uniform for concerts once the school year begins.
Which instrument should I choose?
- This depends on the student! You will find the best fits for each student during the Instrument Petting Zoos/Sign-Up Nights, and Mr. Weinberg/Mr. Teykl will help students decide what could be the best fit for them as well.
Should we buy a new or used instrument?
- It is recommended that you rent an instrument from Quinlan and Fabish. All other instruments must be approved by the band director before they will be allowed to be used in class. Contact the band department for a list of recommended brands. Neither you nor the directors will want your son or daughter using a poorly made instrument.
Can my child change instruments in the middle of the year?
- This is not recommended. Changing instruments in the middle of the year will only occur in extreme cases where students are not experiencing success.
Can my child quit if they don't like it?
- Sixth grade is a time of transition from childhood to young adulthood. We believe that part of growing up is following through with commitments. Furthermore, the band staff believes this is nearly impossible for a student to know for sure if they will like being in the band program until they have completed a full year in the Beginning Band program. We view the band program as a multi-year experience in which students grow and learn through practice and performance. When a student signs up, it is a full one-year commitment.
How are students graded in beginning band?
- Students will be graded based on individual assessment. They receive a participation grade for having all of their materials and being active in the class, as well as a grade for practicing each quarter.
Will my child have after school or before school obligations?
- Band students will meet after school no more than 5 times the entire school year. Any after school rehearsals will be communicated to families at least 2 weeks in advance.